Science Olympiad- Volunteers and Participants Still Wanted!


This afternoon I had the pleasure of attending my first Science Olympiad practice as a coach.  I'd been nervous as I've never coached so much as a game of jacks before, and I'm well removed from my own school days.  But my daughter has been participating in Science Olympiad for the past few weeks and has been having a wonderful time, so I decided to get in on the action.  Although I was nervous today, I had an excellent time!  What a great, inquisitive, and positive group of kids.  Michelle Foulkes led the kids in practice for several of the Olympiad events, and the kids seemed excited to try their hand at engineering, aeronautics, and DNA.  It was so affirming to see a group of kids  choose to spend extra time, after a long day at school, engaging in new learning opportunities:)

And one of the best parts of the experience is that we have room to share it with more members of the Mitchell fam!  All second through fifth graders are welcome to compete, and any parents or adult family members who want to help are so, so welcome.  We need more coaches if possible!  Practices are Monday and Friday after school until 5:30, depending on which events your student participates in.  So, you don't have to make a huge commitment of time or resources to be a part of this scholastically stimulating event!